Walk The Agrarian Path With Us

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Wildcrafting Herbs

  The early summer-like weather brought up a lot of wild herbs in the garden area. It was too early to plant anything so we got to see all of the useful plants that showed up. I've been able to harvest shepherd's purse, plantain, dandelion, and chickweed. There is also yellow dock, but I will let it grow for a while so the roots are bigger. I love finding the herbs in the garden area because it is fenced off from the animals and, of course, chemical-free. The comfrey is doing very well and already has flowers ready to bloom. I've been able to give starts of lemon balm, peppermint, tansy, and oregano. When looking in the woods the other day I spotted what appears to be wild yam. I will be checking that out again and positively identifying the plant before digging up some of the root.
 
"He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man...." Psalm104:14

2 comments:

  1. We are looking at buying a 1898 farmhouse and I had fun poking around the landscaping and trying to identify the herbs and perrenials they have planted. Definately have to rip out at least one of the evergreen shrubs and replace with comfry! Can you believe there is not one lilac on the property (1.8 acres)? I will also have to remedy that! They have some funky ground cover planted out the back door that will be removed for a kitchen cooks/herb garden. Another surprise, no fruit trees. I am a firm believer in planting edibles! So fruit trees will go in as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like this could be a great place. You have wonderful ideas for making it so.

      Delete